So here we go again. An official topic deserves an official post. There’s already been some meaningless chatter on other posts, but it’s time to get serious now. The league is back, surviving the stress of the lockout and the fact that the Redskins have a quarterback battle between a fat old guy eating Oreos and a Mormon kid who’s thrown exactly zero passes in the last three years. But that aside, it’s time for the best day of the year: the day when Clew drinks Zimas until he giggles about every roster, the day when Spree Lew actually thinks it’s a good idea to listen to Clew’s advice, the day when Dirt actually plays Fantasy Football. I can’t wait.
So here are the details:
1. League is setup. Get your team in. League ID is 444274. Password is “waterlane”. You know where to go. And you’ll be greeted by my same naming convention that has taken me to 5 straight finals. So don’t even start the hating. Let’s hope this reference does better than Dirt’s use of the same movie. And Ryzz, please Google best fantasy football names and pick the first one so that we don’t have to put up with your usual “genius”. Also names will be locked before the first games so choose wisely.
2. Who is in? Will we be 8 or 10? I’ve heard verbals from Dirt, Ryzz, Clew, Me, Stroke, Spree L, D$, Mr. R. That leaves Spree Ebbs. Possibly Shoe. Possibly a spot if only one of those two passes. Any other possibilities? Not Tim is still retired, for the 2nd time.
3. Buy-in is $100. Split will be decided based on the number of entries. I’ll update this post later with the final split.
4. Rule changes. One this year will be addition of one bench slot, so bring your A-game on draft day. You’ll need one extra sleeper like that guy that Ryzz drafted that I still can’t find on a roster. Only other change is 6 points for a defensive safety. These are so rare that they deserve more than two points. No protests allowed. No $1 tax or limit on trades. Clew gets one keeper player from previous year, and he can have his choice of Kurt Warner or Brett Favre.
5. Draft date. It looks like we’ll all be spread out this year unfortunately with all the future lawyers and people trying to defend our freedom, so we may be without a get together. I’m open to suggestions from D$ Spree Lew and Dirt if there is going to be enough motivation for us to get together. We have to account for two players 8.5 hours ahead, so we’re looking to be early afternoon on a weekend day. For now, August 27, Saturday, at 11:30 AM is the time. So don’t give me any excuses, just tell me you can make it. D$, we’ll see you at 11:45.
6. Draft order. The hat draw worked well last year and we will be continuing that provided we can setup some reasonable form of communication and oversight without getting too complicated. I will work on the details and let the group know. We will likely draw the order around two hours before the first pick, and interested parties will be looped in via Skype (right now Clew is banging on his computer like an orangutan hoping Skype falls out) and conference call.
7. Let’s go. As always play to win. Play fair. And let the usual hate begin.
Good night and good luck –